Thursday, May 3, 2012

SNYDEMAIL BAG: Dana's Moroccan Stew

Hey Dr. Wienerbreath ,

I tweeted to you earlier about making Dana's Moroccan stew recipe! You probably already know it was fantastic, haha.

Anyway, I remember that you said to take photos of his French Onion soup -- which I would have if I hadn't finished it off so fast! So this time when I made the stew I made sure I did. I've attached the photo! (Sorry it's not the most photogenic food, lol)

Also, next time I make his French Onion soup I'll be sure to take a photo of that too. However, the Snydewich is up next! I've been wanting to make that since that particular episode of the cast came out!

~ Dylan/SithusX



Seriously, that looks amazing.

Here is the recipe:

Dana's Moroccan Stew
1 large white (or yellow) Vidalia onion (medium diced)
6 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 large heaping tbsp sweet paprika
1/8 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp sugar
3 cans (10oz cans) of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 quart low sodium chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes
1 bag fresh spinach
extra virgin olive oil
salt 
pepper




1. Cover the bottom of a large pot with olive oil. Add 1 large diced onion and six chopped garlic cloves. Cook until translucent (do not brown.)


2. Add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cumin, 1 large heaping tbsp sweet paprika and 1/8 tbsp cayenne pepper. Mix for 1-2 minutes at medium to medium/high heat. (Make sure to not brown onions.)


3. Add 1 quart low sodium chicken stock. Rinse and add the garbanzo beans. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes. Add 1 tbsp sugar, a couple of pinches of salt and ten twists of pepper (from a peppermill.) Bring to a simmer.


4. Turn heat to low and allow it to stew for 45 minutes under a lid.


5. Remove lid and mash garbanzo beans with a potato masher.


6. Add spinach and mix until it wilts.


7. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top of each serving.




The Moroccan Stew was first mentioned on KEN P.D. SNYDECAST #159: Soup’s On (Ken & Dana return with a conversation that focuses largely on soup. Or a stew. We’re not really sure.)

Go ahead and make some! Then shoot me an email and let me know how it turned out. Or let me know anything else you want posted on the blog.

No comments: