Monday, November 22, 2010

Dana's Moroccan Stew

On episode #159 (Soup's On) Dana shared this recipe for Moroccan stew.

Dana's Moroccan Stew
1 large white (or yellow) Vidalia onion (medium diced)
6 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 large heaping tbsp sweet paprika
1/8 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp sugar
3 cans (10oz cans) of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 quart low sodium chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes
1 bag fresh spinach
extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper


1. Cover the bottom of a large pot with olive oil. Add 1 large diced onion and six chopped garlic cloves. Cook until translucent (do not brown.)

2. Add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cumin, 1 large heaping tbsp sweet paprika and 1/8 tbsp cayenne pepper. Mix for 1-2 minutes at medium to medium/high heat. (Make sure to not brown onions.)

3. Add 1 quart low sodium chicken stock. Rinse and add the garbanzo beans. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes. Add 1 tbsp sugar, a couple of pinches of salt and ten twists of pepper (from a peppermill.) Bring to a simmer.

4. Turn heat to low and allow it to stew for 45 minutes under a lid.

5. Remove lid and mash garbanzo beans with a potato masher.

6. Add spinach and mix until it wilts.

7. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top of each serving.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I made this, and it was delicious.

Guy Hutchinson said...

Yes, it is!
I am glad you tried it.

I served this on Thanksgiving and it was a big hit with everyone.

Unknown said...

I thought this recipe was interesting but would not be very good. It was excellent. Simple, Healthy, and very good flavors. Mr. Plume should try it. I am a big guy. Mr. Plume is a big guy. How sad to be a big guy and not eat well? I don't think Mr. Plume eats well. It seems as if he eats a lot, but he eats shit-food. I could be wrong. I don't want that to seem like I am picking on him, just a small constructive criticism. He's sterling.

Unknown said...

This was excellent. I thought It was going to be OK, but it was very very good. The spices mixed together quite well.

Mr. Plume should try it. It's got to be healthy and low fat.

Unknown said...

Sorry. I only meant to leave one comment. now I have left 3. I also wanted my name to be " Msgr. Cockgargler, K.B.E" and I see it is "Mike". How boring!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLXyC1cuN3M

9:20 mark. Funny. RIP.

Sithus said...

Just made this and it was outstanding! I wasn't expecting it to be so good! Ate it all up in less than two days haha! Thanks Dana for the recipe and Guy for posting it! I will definitely be making it again!