Thursday, June 28, 2012

Nora Ephron's "Lady Movies"

Nora Ephron passed away this week. She was a wonderful writer and wrote two of the films mentioned in this exchange from KEN P.D. SNYDECAST #63: Go Green!:


Dana: I love all movies except lady movies.
Ken: Now, what's your definition of lady movies?
Dana: You know, Thelma and Louise, A Room With A View, The English Patient uh… whatever that f***ing thing… The Women-The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Need I go on?




Ken: Yeah!
Dana: A movie that only appeals to ladies.
Ken: I want to see how many you can name, now.
Dana: What?
Ken: I want to see how many you can name, now.
Dana: That's all I'm gonna name because I can't think of any more.
Ken: What about, uh, When Harry Met Sally?
Dana: Uh… almost a lady movie. 'cept it has Billy Crystal in it who I assume is appealing to no woman… so…
Ken: …and Bruno Kirby.
Dana: Right.
Ken: and Carrie Fisher.
Dana: Yeah. Okay. Enough with the cast list!
Ken: I'm just sayin'.
Dana: Which… alright let's do this for a little bit. Lady movie, or not lady movie?
Ken: (laughs) Sleepless in Seattle
Dana: Definite lady movie. Although I have seen it.
Ken: Okay… Princess Bride.
Dana: Not a lady movie. On first sight you might think it's a lady movie but it's actually not. Because once again, Billy Crystal is in it.


 Maybe "lady movies" aren't your thing, either. But still, I suggest you look into the work of Nora Ephron. There is probably something in there that you'll enjoy!

No comments: