Friday, March 18, 2011

a closer look: Yan Can Cook

On KEN P.D. SNYDECAST #38: Running On Empty the boys have a back and forth about TV chef Martin Yan:



Ken: You what I used to like on PBS?
Dana: What?
Ken: Yan Can Cook.
Dana: Oh yeah.
Ken: Whatever happened to him?
Dana: You what I could never figure out, why he was not brought into the fold of the food network.
Ken: I thought I saw him make a couple of guest appearances. His was the most entertaining show.
Dana: Yeah, but I couldn't figure out why he was never…
Ken: But he was the most entertaining show on the network. Because Frugal Gourmet was just creepy.

After a little sidebar about the Frugal Gourmet the conversation comes back around to Yan:

Ken: Yan Can Cook, though, was worth watching even if just for the knife work.
Dana: He has amazing knife skills.
Ken: That show I miss. Do they even repeat it anymore?
Dana: They do. Sometimes, I think.
Ken: I just love the fact that he was obviously just, without any self consciousness just showing off to the utmost degree.
Dana: Oh yeah.
Ken: Pure showman.
Dana: That's what I like about him.
Ken: And I liked how you always watched going surely he's going to cut off a finger.
Dana: never does.

Martin Yan has been entertaining TV audiences with his cooking shows since 1978 and is still going today.

According to his website he is also doing public demonstrations. He even has one scheduled TOMORROW in California:

Castro Valley Library
Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 2pm
3600 Norbridge Avenue
Castro Valley, CA 94546
Phone: (510) 667-7900

His most recent show was Martin Yan's China. Yan also owns an few Yan Can restaurants in California.

As for his knife skills... they are amazing!

Here is a vintage clip:


Here is a clip from last month at a library in California:

Take that, chicken.

No comments: